Graphic is from the paper “Comparative analysis of alternative powertrain technologies in freight trains: A numerical examination towards sustainable rail transport”

Ahmed Aredah’s graduate school experience is not a typical one as he is simultaneously pursuing two graduate degrees in different majors. He is a master’s degree student in the Department of Computer Science advised by Hoda Eldardiry, assistant professor and core faculty at the Sanghani Center, and is also a Ph.D. student in the Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, advised by Hesham Rakha with Eldardiry serving on his dissertation committee. 

“The multidisciplinary approach at the Sanghani Center aligns perfectly with my dual-degree aspirations, allowing me to bridge the gap between civil engineering and computer science,” Aredah said. “Advanced research facilities and extensive networking opportunities have further enriched my academic experience.”

His research area is centered on energy optimization in transportation. He is part of a team at the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute that developed NeTrainSim, a network train simulator that explores ways to make train operations more energy efficient. 

“A significant contribution from our work has been the study and proposal of different powertrain technologies to enhance train infrastructure in the United States. Thanks to the robust methodology we have employed, our findings can be expanded to other regions/countries,” Aredah said.

Their paper, “Comparative analysis of alternative powertrain technologies in freight trains: A numerical examination towards sustainable rail transport,” was recently published in the journal, Applied Energy. 

Aredah shared this research in a poster presentation at the 2023 Transportation Board Annual Meeting where he also presented the paper, “NeTrainSim: A Longitudinal Freight Train Dynamics Simulator for Electric Energy Consumption.”

His interest in energy optimization for railway systems was sparked by a combination of factors. “The real-world impact of creating more efficient, sustainable transport solutions resonated with my desire for meaningful work,” Aredah said. “And the interdisciplinary nature of the field offers a unique technical challenge that appealed to my problem-solving instincts.”

Aredah earned a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree in civil engineering from German University in Cairo, Egypt, and nanodegrees in data science and machine learning from Udacity.

After graduating with his Ph.D. (currently projected for 2025), Aredah said that he is open to exploring any opportunity that allows him to leverage his skills.

“At my core, I am a problem solver, passionate about applying my knowledge to real-world challenges. Whether that means continuing research to push the boundaries of what’s possible or working in an industrial setting to implement practical solutions, I am eager to find a role where I can make a meaningful impact,” he said.